To apply click here
Applied MS GIScience is a one-year fast-track program that equips students with skills for tracking people and vehicles, siting facilities, and identifying environmental changes using market-leading geospatial software.
Requirements for Admissions:
Students with degrees from ALL subjects are considered; no prior Geography or GIS classes or experience is required. Applications from students from the State of Florida, from the rest of the USA, and from the rest of the world are considered EQUALLY.
Funding support is not available to students in the first semester. For students starting in fall, funding may be available in their second semester (spring). For Students starting in spring, funding may be available in their third semester (spring). Current stipend is approximately $9,000 for one semester plus a 9 hour tuition waiver. Students are responsible for paying University fees. Funding is conditional on good scholastic standing and available departmental resources.
Qualifications for funding are:
- Undergraduate degree and GPA over 3.0
- GRE Scores of at least 144 (Quant) and 153 (Verbal). Students with lower GPA and GRE scores may also be accepted to the program.
One OFFICIAL copy of your transcripts from each undergraduate and/or graduate school you have attended. Transcripts must not be “Issued To Student.”
- Mail transcripts to:
- The Florida State University
Office of Admissions
282 Champions Way
P.O. Box 3062400
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2400
- The Florida State University
- Electronic transcripts to: email@example.com
It is recommended to have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher and GRE scores of at least 144 (Quant) and 153 (Verbal). However, Applications from students with lower GPA and GRE scores may also be accepted to the program.
Statement of Purpose (1-1.5 pages, single spaced):
Please describe the following:
- What is your motivation for applying to this program? How does this program of study advance your career interests? What is your previous experience working with GIS, remote sensing, statistics, and computer programming?
- If relevant, feel free to discuss obstacles or hardships that you had to overcome in order to succeed, and how you surmounted these obstacles.
Letters of Recommendation:
Three letters of recommendation. The letters should be from faculty and/or employers familiar with your academic, research, or professional experience. This may include but is not limited to education, work, volunteer, and/or internship experiences.
Employers of graduates include many private software companies, as well as state and federal institutions (Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Transportation, Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Water Management Districts, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Census Bureau and US Geological Survey). Check out current jobs at GIS Jobs Clearinghouse, GIS Jobs, My GIS Jobs and Geography Jobs.
Spring 2020: Admission is now closed.
Fall 2020: Admission will open November 1st. Deadline to apply is May 1st.